Soothe Your Scalp: Best Natural Remedies for Scalp Psoriasis
Living with scalp psoriasis can be a trying experience. The incessant itching and flaking can disrupt your daily life, leaving you self-conscious and overwhelmed. But, hey, you’re not alone in your journey. We’re here to help you. For one, we have a wide collection of natural hair care products made from a combination of Dead Sea minerals & other organic ingredients good for managing symptoms of scalp psoriasis. Also, we’re happy to share natural remedies for scalp psoriasis you can try at home.
Just a gentle reminder, though. While these remedies can relieve your itchy and scaling scalp, they may not replace medical psoriasis scalp treatment. We still recommend consulting a dermatologist for a comprehensive psoriasis management plan.
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Rinse
Apple cider vinegar isn’t just for your kitchen. Its natural acidity can help restore your scalp’s pH balance and relieve the itching and scaling often associated with scalp psoriasis. Here’s how to make apple cider vinegar rinse for your scalp:
- Mix equal parts water and apple cider vinegar.
- Use a cotton ball or spray bottle to apply the mixture to your scalp.
- Leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing it with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the application once or twice a week.
The golden nectar of honey offers more than just sweetness. Its antibacterial and moisturising properties can work wonders for your scalp, soothing irritation caused by psoriasis. You can use it to make a paste or deep conditioner as an effective psoriasis scalp treatment:
- Make a scalp treatment paste: Simply mix honey with a little water (just enough to help it become less sticky), massage the mixture onto your scalp and pull through the ends of the hair. Leave it for one to two minutes. Then, rinse and shampoo and condition as usual.
- Create a deep conditioning treatment: Mix honey with coconut oil or other carrier oils that can add moisture. You can also create hair masks with honey & yoghurt (or avocado); just mix them to your desired consistency.
Do a patch test before using honey paste or conditioner. Remember that people with allergies to bee pollen can be affected by products containing honey.
Aloe Vera Gel
There’s a reason aloe vera is often tagged as a “healing plant” and has been treasured for centuries. With cooling and anti-inflammatory properties, it’s one of the best home remedies for scalp psoriasis. It can calm the redness and itchiness you often experience. Here’s what you should do with aloe vera gel:
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel directly to your scalp.
- Leave it on for half an hour before rinsing it.
A tropical treasure, coconut oil is a powerhouse of nourishment for your scalp. Its deep moisturising abilities can relieve the dryness and flaking on your scalp. Here’s how to use coconut oil for scalp psoriasis:
- Gently warm coconut oil until it becomes liquid.
- Apply the oil to your scalp and massage it in.
- Leave it on for at least half an hour or overnight.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil, nature’s antiseptic, is well-known for its healing properties. When diluted correctly, it can be an effective remedy for managing a psoriasis scalp and reducing irritation. Here’s how to use it:
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil (e.g., olive oil, coconut oil).
- Massage the mixture onto your scalp and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
Beyond a vibrant spice, turmeric is also a potent anti-inflammatory compound. You can turn it into a paste to have a natural and soothing way to address an inflamed scalp. Here’s how to apply it:
- Make a paste by mixing turmeric powder with water.
- Apply the paste to your scalp and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
Did you know your morning oatmeal can do more than fuel your day? An oatmeal soak offers relief from the itching and discomfort of scalp psoriasis by creating a calming, moisturising bath for your skin. Follow these steps to create an oatmeal soak:
- Grind plain, uncooked oats into a fine powder.
- Mix the oatmeal powder with warm water to create a paste.
- Apply the paste to your scalp, leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse.
Baking Soda Scrub
Baking soda is another kitchen staple that can help relieve your condition. It’s a gentle exfoliant that can help remove scales and reduce itching on your psoriasis-affected scalp. Here’s how to maximise it:
- Mix baking soda with water to create a baking soda scrub.
- Gently massage the scrub or paste onto your scalp.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
Maintain Good Scalp Hygiene
Apart from the home remedies for scalp psoriasis scales discussed above, you should practise good scalp hygiene. After all, it is the foundation of managing scalp psoriasis. Simple practices like gentle cleansing and avoiding harsh products can significantly impact your comfort and well-being.
- Use a gentle, fragrance-free shampoo and conditioner.
- Avoid using hot water because it can worsen scalp dryness and irritation.
- Be gentle when washing your hair, and avoid excessive scrubbing or scratching.
- Remember to patch-test any natural remedies first to check for any adverse reactions.
- Consult a healthcare professional for personalised advice and potential prescription treatments to manage scalp psoriasis effectively.
Soothe Your Scalp with Jericho Skincare Australia Products
While natural remedies for scalp psoriasis work, you won’t always have the time to create turmeric paste or oatmeal soak. To practise a healthy haircare routine each day, we recommend Jericho Skincare Australia’s hair care products that are gentle to your scalp. We have products that can be your go-to psoriasis shampoo, serum & more.
For instance, our Black Mud Shampoo has been specially developed to bring general relief to those experiencing psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis and other skin-related conditions. You can also try the Jericho Dead Sea Mud Hair Care Bundle, which contains shampoo, hair mask and hair serum formulated with Dead Sea minerals & natural ingredients. It’s a perfect hair care set to help you with your everyday battle with scalp psoriasis.